A workspace represents a collection of users or groups that share specific assets, players, jobs, workflows, and user tasks. A workspace allows users of Dalet Flex to work in a project context.
Through workspace membership, assets can be shared between users or groups within an account but they cannot be duplicated. In other words an asset can only exist in one workspace. To view an asset, you must be a member of the specific workspace in which it was created. A user/group can belong to more than one workspace.
The following properties can be viewed at workspace level:
- Owner: Typically the person that created the workspace in the system.
- Members: A collection of users/groups that belong to this workspace.
- Account: The account that the workspace belongs to.
The main features of workspaces are:
- Workspace members can access the content in the workspace
- Users and groups can be assigned as members of workspaces
- You can switch between different workspaces to view different assets
Creating a Workspace
You create workspaces to control the visibility of assets in Dalet Flex for different users or groups. You can create workspaces that reflect your workflow and the tasks performed.
- In the toolbar, click New and in the drop down list, select Workspace.
- In the Create new Workspace... section, enter a Name and optional Description for your workspace. Names can include spaces and special characters: ",%,@,*,^,~.
- Click Save; the workspace is created and the Details screen of the workspace is displayed
Adding and removing members in a Workspace
Workspaces are used to group together users who perform similar tasks in in your organisation. For workspaces to be useful, you must add users and/or groups to them.
To add members:
- In the Workspace Details screen, click the Members tab and select Users or Groups.
- Click Edit Members.
- Select a user/group from the Non-Members box, and click the arrows; the user/group is added to the Members box.
- When you have finished adding members to the workspace, click Save; all the users/groups added to the workspace are displayed in the Members tab,
To remove members:
- In the Details view of your workspace, click the Members tab and select Users or Groups.
- Click Edit Members.
- From the Members box, select the user/group you want to remove and click the arrows icon; the user/group is removed from the Members box, and appears in the Non-Members box.
- Once you have removed the members from the workspace, click Save; the user/groups are no longer displayed in the Members tab.
Enabling a Workspace
To use a workspace in Dalet Flex, it must be enabled.
Click the Details tab, and then click the Enable icon.
Setting the default Workspace
When an account is created, the default account workspace is automatically created and all workspace supported items and all users automatically belong to this workspace. You then create additional workspaces and create assets and trigger workflows in them. Once you create additional workspaces and have permissions to work with workspaces, the Workspaces drop down list is displayed at the top right of the screen.
The default workspace is the workspace that is loaded when you login to Flex Core. You can change the default workspace at any time by clicking on the tick next to the workspace name in the Workspaces drop down list. The default workspace is marked with a green tick in the workspace drop down list.
Selecting a Workspace
If you are a member of more than one workspace, you can switch between different workspaces in an account quickly and easily with the Workpaces drop down list.
- In the Dalet Flex console, click the Workspaces drop down list.
- From the drop down list, click on the name of a workspace in the list; the workspace changes in the interface
- The name of the current workspace is displayed above the drop down list. In the example below, the current workspace is News.
Managing Content in a Workspace
An asset is assigned to a workspace when it is created, whether it is created by an Import Job or created manually in the UI as a placeholder.
Any workflow or job that is run belongs to the workspace that the workflow/job was launched from.
An asset can exist in a single workspace and it can only move between workspaces using a modify relationship action as part of a workflow.
You have access to any item that is in a workspace that you are a member of. You cannot access items in workspaces that you are not a member of.
In FlexMAM, you can extend the collaborative functionality and give access to specific assets, regardless of their workspace using the Access tab in the Summary panel in FlexMAM. See Managing Asset Access Permissions
for more information.
Accessing Items in Different Workspaces
There are two permissions that affect how you can access items in workspaces.
- Switch Account & Workspace
Allows you to see all the workspaces that you are a member of in your account and switch between them either using the Workspaces drop down list or by double clicking on an asset in the Search results. In Flex MAM, you can also switch between workspaces that you are a member of by selecting the workspace in the left panel.
Switch Account & Workspace
Allows you to switch between all the workspaces on your account, even if you are not a member of a particular workspace. In the listings in both Flex Core and Flex MAM you can see all assets in all workspaces on your account.
If you have Workspace permissions, when you run a global search across all workspaces, only assets in workspaces that you are a member of will be displayed.
If you have Switch Account & Workspace permissions, when you run a global search across all workspaces, all items in all the workspaces on your account will be displayed.
In both cases, you can easily switch workspaces from the search results to access items that are in a different workspace to the current workspace.
- If you hover on an asset that exists in a different workspace to the current workspace, a pop-up will appear.
- If you click on this asset, a pop-up window to confirm whether you would like to switch workspaces is displayed. If you click **Continue**, the workspace will be switched and the details for the asset will be displayed.