The Metadata Designer is a data modelling design tool that allows you to design your metadata models graphically.
The Metadata Designer runs using HTML5, so it is quick to load and access. Metadata definitions can be associated with object types. Once associated with an object type, every time a new object is instantiated, a new instance of the metadata is instantiated, and associated with the object. By creating metadata definition and associating them with Dalet Flex object types, you can model your data and create your own object types as well as customise existing Flex objects (through the creation of variants). To really understand metadata definitions in Dalet Flex, it is important to understand the difference between a metadata definition and a metadata instance.
Accessing the Metadata Designer
There are different ways to access the Metadata Designer in Dalet Flex:
- Via the Toolbar: In the Access menu, select Metadata Definitions or click New, and then select Metadata Definition. From there, you can then create a new metadata definition.
- By Searching: You can search for a specific metadata definition. Then when you select it from the search results, you will be taken to Metadata Designer.
- Via a Type: You can access the metadata definition by selecting a type that is associated with a specific metadata definition.
- From FlexMAM: You can open the Metadata Designer from the App Switcher in FlexMAM.
Metadata Designer Interface
When Metadata Designer opens, available options are displayed along the left hand side. Click on the options to open the relevant page.
- Metadata: Used to design a metadata schema to define the structure of a data model including field types, access, validation rules and hierarchy
- Thesaurus: Used to create a list of terms with relational mapping used as a backstore for fields in a metadata schema
- Tag Collection: Used to create a collection of keywords used as a backstore for fields in a metadata schema
- Type: Used to create site defined types of assets based on system object types
- Taxonomy: Used to create complex hierarchical metadata classifications used as a backstore for fields in a metadata schema
Performing Actions on a Metadata Definition
You can perform actions on existing metadata definitions, such as opening, importing, exporting, duplicating, and enabling a metadata definition.
Hover over a metadata defintion and click the next to the definition. From the drop down menu, select one of the options to perform the action.
- Open: Open a metadata definition to see the fields. You can also double click on a metadata definition
- Export: Export a metadata definition as an XML file
- Duplicate: Create a duplicate definition based on the existing metadata definition
- Disable: Disable a metadata definition.
- Delete: Delete a metadata definiton. This option is only available for a Disabled
- Enable: Enable a metadata definition.
Importing a Metadata Definition
You can import an existing metadata definition that you have saved as an XML file. and you can also export a metadata definition as an XML file.
In the Metadata tab, click the icon on the right of the screen. Click the Import symbol, and locate your .XML file, and drag it into the download area, or click in the centre of the download area to browse for the file and click Upload.
Searching for a Metadata Definition
You can search through metadata definitions using the search bar located above the list of definitions.
To search for a definition:
- Click inside the search bar, which is located in the top right of the list of metadata definitions.
- Search for a metadata definition; the list filters to display the relevant metadata definitions.
- Use the Filter and Sort By drop down list to refine your search results.
Working with Metadata Definitions
When you select a metadata definition, the Configuration Panel displays tabs to view information about your metadata definition and perform additional actions on the definitions.
- Information tab: This shows you information about your metadata definition, such as the title of the definition, ID, UUID, the owner, the Account it was created in, the visibility, creation date, and when it was last modified.
- Attachment tab: Allows you to attach a file to the metadata definition, such as a document. It will also list any existing attachments in this tab.
To upload an attachment:
- Click the icon and click Upload Attachment.
- Either drag the file into the upload area, or click inside the upload area to manually browse to the file.
- Click Upload; the file is attached to the metadata definition.
- Comments tab: Allows you to post a comment against your metadata definition.
To post a comment against a metadata definition, type your comment in the Insert a comment box and click the icon; your comment is added.
You can change the order in which the comments are displayed by clicking the Ascending / Descending icon, . You can also search comments or filter them by Date or User.
- History tab: Displays the history of your metadata definition.
- References tab: This shows you all the objects that are referenced by your metadata definition. For example any variants.